Sunday, April 15, 2007

Relay for Life

Friday night was Relay for Life.

The best part was seeing old friends back together again. Our close-knit group of workers and friends-of-friends from when I was in the Visitor Center made up the original team. It was nice to be together again. In addition to everyone still on campus, Caroline and Kim drove in from Austin. Blake drove in from Round Rock. I really wish Ericka could have come in from Corsicana.

The second best part was probably the fact that our team ranked top in raising money. I don't know -- once we were in the lead, I got very competitive and really wanted to stay there. I really am proud of how hard all the team members worked on it. And let me add for contributors who might be reading this, a hearty Thank You.

I actually had two teams. I could have ended up combining them if I had not adhered to the guidelines of how many you could have on a team. The number I had signed up sadly did not reflect the number who actually showed. It happens though. Things come up: the chance to visit with a family member who is in the military before they leave; new responsibilities from getting an internship with a major league soccer team; major exams to study for; and some just don't show.

Extremely bad weather was predicted. After a generous offer from the local hometown mall, the relay was moved indoors and we did the relay mall-walker style. There were things that were better (you could have food and sodas at your campsite; the bathrooms were close by; temperature controled) but going back to the college campus football stadium/field would allow it to grow bigger and build on the fact that it is a student sponsored event. Wonder what it will be like next year.

I was home in bed by 7:00 a.m. Saturday morning since they dimissed a little early. The drive home was hard after being up all night and I was really glad to see my bed. Slept until 4:00 p.m. that afternoon. Went and got a pizza. Came back home and nodded off while watching Saturday evening tv and finally gave up and went to bed. When I got up at 7:00 a.m. Sunday morning, I felt all stiff and sore and achey. I was pretty worthless all day and didn't get much of anything accomplished. Did tidy up my photo files some. But that's it. Hope to add some photos of Relay soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter