Thursday, April 05, 2007

Rock - Paper - Scissors

This childhood game is such a handy little device for making decisions, settling disputes, and general entertainment, such as the national championships broadcast on A&E from Las Vegas.

My friend, Stewart, and I have had a virtual tournament going on for more than two years now. Every once in a while when we see each other online, we'll send an Instant Message to see if the other has time for a couple of rounds. It's quick fun.

A typical message might go like this:

me: best 2 out of 3?
him: absolutely
me: ok here we go
(we pause)

me: 1
me: 2
me: 3

(simultaneously)
me: s
him: p

(pause)

me: 1
me: 2
me: 3

(simultaneously)
me: s
him: p

him: NOOOOOOOOOOO
me: LOL
him: i'll get you next time, gadget!
me: you can try

Of course this wouldn't work without complete trust that the other is hitting the r, p, or s key at the same time as you. And ending with some challenge, threat, or trash talkin' flourish adds to the fun.

Granted, I used this example BECAUSE I WON. As you can see I chose the Repeat Selection ploy as counterpoint to his expected use of Choose-the-implement-that-would-trump-the-thing-that-would-trump-your-opponent's-last-choice gambit, him thinking I would move up the chain to the next powerful implement.

Well, probably not cause we're just playing for funsies.

Check out the World RPS Society website LINK. I think you might be surprised how serious these people are about RPS!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's how Sean got to pick Tristen's name!!
You are one crazy funny gal! Gotta love ya!!!

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter