Thursday, June 07, 2007

Carl Reiner

I really try not to stay up too late, but since I went to The Big-City Mall and got back after 10:30 (about an hour and fifteen minute drive home plus had to stop at grocery store), I'm still up and watching tv and unwinding from a stressful work day and the drive.

Just happened to have Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson on tv because I was taking a break from watching my soap to do something. And Carl Reiner was on there!

The man is 85 and looks fantastic! His 93 year old wife just had a birthday celebration. She's was the lady in When Harry Met Sally that says, "I'll have what she's having." Their son is Rob Reiner. Know who I'm talking about?

I guess I first realized who Carl Reiner was when I discovered he was the creator of the Dick Van Dyke show which I love. And then when I found out he was buds with Mel Brooks ... well, there you go! He played Alan Brady who Rob wrote comedy for and Rob's coworker, Buddy, was based on Carl's buddy, Mel Brooks. And we know what a fan of Mel Brooks I am!

Also, Bright Eyes was the guest band on there right before they signed off. Plan to check them out again even though the singer's vocals were a bit disturbing. A soulful Tiny Tim comes to mind. I was really enjoying the lyrics. (Okay, I checked them out. Aside from that guy's annoying voice, I found their music as a whole to be unwholesomely gloomy and too cryptic for me so I won't be putting them on my listening list. However, I do appreciate how they can turn a phrase while I was reading some of the lyrics. A friend commented that Bright Eyes is great stuff and I had to reply that reading, hearing, listening to tales of death and rotting corpses means something different to me now since watching Gene have a heart attack. It doesn't freak me out, but I just don't want to go there for entertainment purposes, you know?)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's an album by Bright Eyes that is more politically charged than anything else: I'm Wide Awake It's Morning. I really like it. However, Connor Oberst's voice CAN get a little annoying after a while. I've got two other albums, but I don't listen to them nearly as much as I do the one I mentioned. The other albums are more whiny, while I'm Wide Awake is more anger...

Just thought I'd throw that out there. ;)

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter