Thursday, July 19, 2007

Boston - Fri, July 13

The next day, we were through with the conference but had time to go do some things before our flight home. We took a taxi to Harvard Square. Christine had always wanted to go to campus of Harvard and I wanted to see the headquarters of one of my favorite radio programs, Car Talk, LINK. LINK. And right there on the window is painted Dewey, Cheetham, and Howe just like they always say. Right beneath it was a Curious George store which Christine was interested in since she has little girls, so we did spend some time in there. And we picked up a few more souvenirs along the way, too.




Dewey, Cheetham, & Howe.

We were appreciating each other as travel companions in that we both wanted to go do and see things and if something looked more interesting in a different direction, we were both game to go check it out. And the fact that we were probably the two out of our entire office that would enjoy the symphony and museums as much as we did, it made the work trip that much nicer. Which brings me to – we were starting to talk about grabbing some lunch or heading to the next destination and I realized I hadn’t had any clam chowder. But we remedied that right away and got some.


Chowda.



Harvard Square. Little Guy Poses On My Camera.


Then we jumped on the subway and found our way to the Museum of Fine Arts, LINK. We went to the see the Edward Hopper exhibit which was great.

You may recognize him for this.


Nighthawks.


But I liked this a lot.


Room In New York.


And I was studying this watercolor up close and so intently and I just went there. Right to that beach that was in that painting. I heard the waves pounding behind me. It was such an odd sensation. Even though it lasted only a split second, it was so real that it was almost creepy.


Cottages at Wellfleet.


Then we still had time to look at their other collections. As we left the gift shop (more souvenirs), the first room we went into was primarily European paintings and a couple of sculptures. So many famous paintings that we got to inspect close up. Plus, Degas’s Dancer was the first thing we saw when we walked in. I never ever expected that I would see that in person. It was quite wonderful. And the paintings. Again, I was moved to tears.


Degas's Little Dancer.

I told Christine that my new motto from this trip is “There are four things that make me cry. Moving music, incredible art, falling down, and laughing so hard your sides hurt.” I’d told Christine that I’d noticed how sure footed she was. She kind of gave me a “Huh?” But I explained to her that I am rather clumsy. She said she’d never noticed that, and I informed her that was because I work at it! And wouldn’t you know it, the very next day I had a nice rolling fall. Yeah, I got a bruised knee but it was all quite comical!

So anyway, after the museum we found our way back to the hotel, grabbed our bags we’d stashed with the bellman, made it to the airport in plenty of time. We couldn’t believe how many places we'd packed into that short a time and we really didn’t get started until around 9:30 that morning and still made it to the airport in plenty of time to get passed through security and get hamburgers and a strawberry shake at Johnny Rocket's there.


Johnny Rocket's at Logan Airport.


Another Burger!

On the flight to Boston, I’d double stacked my cups from the diet cokes I’d gotten, but also had an M&M bag which I sandwiched in between them (see image above). So I did it again on the way back. Christine took this photo of “the quiet guy” sitting by us. She kept moving my hand around to get it at just the right angle, and I cracked up when I saw this photo.



I got home around 10:30 Friday night. Einstein was very, very happy to see me. I didn’t do much all weekend but sleep and watch it rain.

There was so much to see and do in Boston. Even though part of the trip was taken up with work, there was still plenty of time to do other stuff and I wouldn’t have been there if it wasn’t for the work part. That was my big trip for the year and I really felt like I went somewhere!

You wouldn't believe how long it took to write these Boston entries and get all the photos into it. I just made up for not posting for a month!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter