Saturday, May 28, 2005

A Mel Brooks Moment

We watched Blazing Saddles (1974) Thursday night.
Movie LINK

Clevon Little is fabulous as Sheriff Bart! A classic movie that makes a bold statement against racism. Besides, the movie is a hoot! I mean, "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!" had to come from somewhere!

When I was 11 years old and loving the hit TV series "Get Smart," I had no idea of the genious of it's creator and what was to follow -- such as "Young Frankenstein" (1974), my favorite -- "High Anxiety" (1977), "History of the World: Part I" (1981), "Spaceballs" (1987) in addition to the aforementioned "Blazing Saddles". Then there's "The Producers" (1968) starring Zero Mostel (which was not improved by Nathan Lane's 2001 reprise). Dick Shawn's performance, and the musical number "Springtime for Hitler" made the movie for me! Let's just forget the depressing stinker, Life Stinks (1991).


Just because it was a Mel Brooks movie, I rented "The Twelve Chairs" (1970). Billed as a madcap mystery set in revolutionary Russia, it's very different from the spoofy ones, but a young Frank Langella -- you know, the Dracula guy -- was in it and at thirty he was HOT! Here is the best photo I could find of him in this movie and it doesn't do him justice. (UPDATE 03-10-08: Now there is YouTube and you can watch him HERE.)

To end my tangent about Mel Brooks, I really want to see "Robin Hood: Men in Tights" (1993) again. Haven't seen that one in a long, long time and have been thinking about it since we saw Cary Ewles in "Saw".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter