Tuesday, November 08, 2005

I Voted Alone

This is the first time I've gone to vote by myself in more than a decade. Gene and I had a standing date. When I got home from work, we'd grab our voter cards from the refrigerator door where they lived under a decorative magnet, jump in the car and head to the Volunteer Fire Department down the road to enjoy the privilege of voting. We would thoughtfully cast our ballots and then go out to eat dinner. For us, it was as important dinner date as our wedding anniversary.

I went and voted before work this time. Changed it up. Surprisingly the day wasn't as hard as I'd expected. I had a pre-emptory "sad" the day before. Guess that was sufficient. Of course, I'm getting better at "not thinking about it" whenever something tear-worthy pops in my mind. So, I'm coping.

Saturday night, I dreamed about work. I am starting to retain trivia. Someone said something on TV that reminded me of a song -- I started singing it. Haven't done that since The Event, as I often refer to it. Of course, I couldn't remember the words right -- never have -- Gene would always join in with the correct words. He had an incredible memory for most everything. Well, I just kept on singing loudly to the cat making up words that seemed to fit -- and it was fine enough for me and Eienstein.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter