Saturday, May 17, 2008

Saturday

It's kind of chilly this morning! Up early and doing some work on the ol' laptop. Then leaving in an hour or so and traveling a couple of hours for a work event. Best part is that I'll get to see KimberlyH today since she lives near there.

I really have been neglecting the blog I know. Sometimes there's just nothing to say and then sometimes there's plenty going on but no time to post about it.

I've been working a lot lately. But that's just the way it is sometimes. Sometimes you get a big project going and it just takes extra effort to ever get it done.

I have in mind that I'm going to sit down and do a real update with photos and everything. March got ten posts and April only a sketchy three or four.

Funny about keeping a blog. Unless you are one of those clearly looking for masses of viewers for commerce or some kind of self-glory and do all the tricks that are required to build that base, what are you doing it for?

Who's even reading it? Do I post to give updates to friends and family? Am I just basically journaling with a few people that come in and take a look? I don't percive my life as being that interesting anyway. I will say there have been plenty of times I've looked back through my blog to find the date something happened. And sometimes I just go back and read it like anyone who sits down to browse through their handwritten journal.

I guess if I had to classify it, that would be why I do it. For the journaling aspect. And to share photos of loved ones and fine friends. I wish it was more rewarding in that those family and fine friends who have the opportunity to know what's going on with me made more contact, whether clicking the comment button and leaving a comment so I would know they were here or just picking up the phone and calling me. I know this is something I repeatedly harp on and I should just admit it's a public journal and not something interactive and just let it go.

I know, we're all so busy and it's just hard to keep in touch, right? Thanks to those of you who do keep in touch. I do appreciate it. (My stats counter shows a lot of lurkers out there, too.)

You maintain a blog and you think that it'll be a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. And if they've got a blog, too, it really is!

But I didn't realize that I would be forming relationships with strangers that live on the other side of the country because you happen to find each others blogs. You see them struggling with deaths and illnesses and you reach out and encourage or commiserate with each other. You celebrate with them when something grand comes their way. You hold your breath with them when they're waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Do you need some encouragement? Need someone to just agree with you that it sucks? Did something just happen with you that needs celebrating? Do you need someone to hold their breath with you while we wait to see how it turns out?

Okay ... I've got to get back to work! I've spent way too long on this tirade and lost time on the work project and now I have to leave for the work event! Gotta run!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm an avid checker of your blog. I like to hear about what you're up to. Miss and love ya!!

Jennifer

10:48 AM  
Blogger lattégirl said...

You have pretty much summed up my reasons for and inner questions about blogging.

For awhile I was broke and did it for the money - linking people and getting links in exchange for a higher ranking, doing paid posts - but although I enjoyed the money popping into my PayPal account, I started feeling like a whore, frankly, so I stopped. I don't even know what my page rank is right now.

I know I have lurkers but not because I read stats -- I don't even know how. (Still don't know how to do a RSS feed, either.) My known lurkers are family members as far as I know: my dad will read and privately email me a response. A SIL reads me daily, according to her hubbie my brother, but has never commented. A couple blogger friends have admitted reading but not saying anything. But I do have a half-dozen "regulars" who comment on 75% of what I write, and that in itself is rewarding, and guarantees that I will also comment often at their places.

Bla bla di bla, sorry to highjack your space, as they say, hope your Saturday is a good one!

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter