Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Channeling Your Inner Child

Last weekend, I watched the movie, Crank, as a refresher for renting & watching Crank 2: High Voltage. My friend, Stewart, joked that it appeared to be created by a 14 yr old boy with ADD. I guess that describes it pretty well. I must admit I had to avert my eyes a couple of times during Crank 2. A bit intense. But all in all, a pretty crazy ride that the fourteen-yr-old-boy in me seemed to enjoy pretty well.

Then on Tuesday, it was time to address that 12-yr-old-girl in me. A friend of mine invited me to go along to a Mitchel Musso concert. Not having any very young ladies in my daily orbit, I wouldn't have known who he was. If the name still doesn't ring a bell for you, think Hannah Montana's best friend Oliver. With successful hits on Disney Radio, his band's tour brought him to a major venue in her town and she was excited to have an opportunity to show her support.

Her family has known Mitchel's family since he was just a little guy, even before he and his brother were the cousins in Second Hand Lions, before he was the voice of DJ in Monster House and way before Hanna Montana. She told me some great stories of when they were little kids and it's obvious that they were born performers.

The average age of the crowd was probably around eleven or twelve and entertaining to watch. My tolerance for squealing pre-teen girls is pretty good since I remember that somehow, squealing was a natural and spontaneous form of expressing excitement for a girl at that age. I remember that well, but for the life of me can't understand why it's true. We heard three bands and were still out of there at 9 o'clock. I've joked that I could be the grandmother to the mothers who brought their young daughters but we had a good time.

While we were waiting in line at the meet-and-greet, she had been telling me what great kids Mitchel and his brothers were and sure enough the first thing the star-of-the-hour did when he saw her was ask about her family. The band-on-tour life and life of celebrity has to be pretty hard and grueling at times, but from a bystander's viewpoint, this young man (and his parents who I also had the opportunity to meet) appeared to be handling it pretty gracefully. I wish them all the best.


Mitchel Musso and yours truly.

2 Comments:

Blogger ihearttheastros said...

I bet my niece Hailey would be extremely jealous of that picture. :)

3:19 PM  
Blogger Linda Jo said...

Did you quit blogging?

Merry Christmas!!!!

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter