Tuesday, June 03, 2008

FreeRice

You might notice a new banner on my sidebar. If you like words and have a few minutes to spare, go play a few rounds at FreeRice. It's very addicting and generates donations to fight world hunger, too.

This afternoon at work, my boss's young daughter was in my office and we were talking about sundown - she gets more sun (tanned) at swim meets all day Saturdays because the sun is going down when she goes to swim practice at 5:30 on weekdays. I was telling her that the days would keep getting longer until June 21 which led to a conversation about the summer solstice, and a mention of my favorite day of the year, Dec. 21, when the daylight starts getting longer again.

That led to me mentioning apogee and perigee mainly because I like the way they sound. And that was new to her, too. So we looked those up and found definitions and illustrated results through the different search engines she suggested.

Then I wanted to show her FreeRice and we were playing it a little. Her dad comes in to get her to go to swim practice and says to me, "What are you doing? Trying to make my child a sesquipedalian??" (Yeah, I taught him that.)

That made apogee and perigee a faint memory; she was loving repeating sesquipedalian sesquipedalian sesquipedalian sesquipedalian.

I commented one day on his insane recall of sports statistics and he shrugged and alluded to my hobby of words. I do like words. If only I was accomplished! Sooooo many words to learn! And then you've got to remember them to make it count!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this word. Never heard it before. I miss hearing you say new words almost every day.

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter