Friday, June 24, 2005

Recent Movies

Submerged
Movie LINK
(2005) Steven Seagal's crew opens up another can of whup-ass, this time on a submarine. I say his crew does because his actual hand-to-hand was very slight, and mostly done with camera cuts. But he is the glue that holds them together and propels them through their quest for a "Get Out of Jail" card upon completion of their assignment. If you like his movies, you'll like this one. Much better than the last one we saw.


National Treasure
Movie LINK
(2004) A treasure hunting movie for Nicholas Cage. His sidekick, played by Justin Bartha, had the best lines--too funny. Full of factual errors, but forget all that and just go along for the ride. Lots of action.


Moulin Rouge!
Movie LINK
(2001) I finally saw Moulin Rouge! Spectacular sets for the musical numbers. Saturated colors, lots of dazzle that burned my retinas and kept me remembering them for a few days after. That's about all I can give on this one. Sorry, guess I just don't get it. Just too slick, too homoginized, too overproduced -- kind of like a Whitney Houston song. Now, if you want to see a real avant-garde movie incorporating popular music, check out The Saddest Music in the World.

The Saddest Music in the World
Movie LINK
(2003) I am actually only halfway through this one, but just seemed appropriate to follow Moulin by mentioning it. Isabella Rossellini plays a Winnipeggian beer baroness who holds a contest during the Great Depression. She sends out the call world-wide for the saddest music which will win a reward of $25,000. Picture Indian singers in Eskimo costumes, who dance to ''California Here I Come'' with sitars and banjos commemorating a 19th-century kayaking accident.

From what I've read, I'm looking forward to seeing her performance where she stands resplendent on her new glass legs with the local beer coursing through them -- oh, did I mention that her former lover, a doctor in a drunken stupor, cut off her legs after a car wreck?

(UPDATE: Okay, I finished watching this movie and must admit that I was forced to fast forward through a lot of it. The idea of this interminable movie is much better than having to actually sit through it. Quite brilliant, actually. Wonderfully wierd!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter