Sunday, February 06, 2005

Almost Heroes. Still Funny!

Almost Heroes (1998) stars Matthew Perry and Chris Farley in a silly race against rivals Lewis and Clark. I'd forgotten how funny this movie was. Guy (that's GEE, hard "g") Fontenot is probably my all-time favorite Eugene Levy character. hehe Makes me laugh just thinking about it.

Potluck (2002) I didn't know what to expect on this one and was pleasantly surprised. It is not a drug movie even though it was put out by High Times and one of the main characters is a suitcase of contraband. Weaving throughout the film-- the suitcase is bought and sold, then stolen and restolen by an unlikely cast of gangsters, artists, drag queens and activists. The other main character is Frank, the loyal mob soldier. He goes through quite a few changes when he becomes involved with the lead singer in an all-girl punk band. Check it out, you just might like it!

The Wind Take my advice. Let it blow on by.

Pauly Shore Is Dead Here's another one that I had reservations about considering the bad reviews. But if you like Pauly Shore, you'll like this. He fakes his own death to become a "comedic genius who died before his time" at the mistaken urging of his gaurdian angel, Sam Kinnison, appearing to him several times in the movie. Todd Bridges, who he meets in county lock-up after being found out, does a great job. This movie has TONS of celebrities portraying themselves, seemingly not always willingly. I think Gene enjoyed it more than me, but it still had some good hah-yucks. (Did you know Pauly Shore's mom owns The Comedy Store? Sam Kinnison was one of his baby-sitters.)

Here are some others we saw a few weeks ago:

Employee of the Month I wanted to check this out because it has two actors I like. I first noticed Steve Zahn when he played Wayne Wayne Wayne Jr in Happy, Texas (escaped convicts disguised as beauty pageant experts; here's a LINK to a photo of Wayne Wayne.) You might remember him as Hank Rafferty in National Security with Martin Lawrence, or Marvin in Daddy Day Care. The other is Christina Applegate. I liked it for the most part. Lots of twists and turns and my requisite quirky characters. You have to watch through the credits to see the actual end of the movie though.

The Village
Opie Taylor's little girl, Bryce Dallas Howard, does a fine job as Ivy.
Wicker Park I have to confess I fast forwarded through a lot of it. Maybe the muzak was worth watching those long non-action parts? Would have been better as a thirty minute movie. Mostly leaves you feeling sad for all that wasted time. The main couple's wasted time, I mean.
The Forgotten Ooops, I forgot to mention it before.
Cold Mountain. The part of Ada Monroe was miscast. Plenty of others could have played the part and been more convincing. Why did it have to be N. Kidman? And Jude Law almost missed the mark, too, but he did do dark and brooding well with those piercing baby blues. Still haven't put my finger on it, but something was off with Kathy Baker as Sally Swanger. Everyone else was convincing to me. Lots of pretty visuals and the story sucked me in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter